What is a Global Solidarity Champion?
The Global Solidarity Champions' training course is a very important tool in the Congress Development Education programme. It provides trade union members with a range of knowledge, skills and tools to become global solidarity champions within their trade union.
The specific learning outcomes are:
- to understand the difficult situation for trade unionists in various countries around the world, and how to act in solidarity with them.
- to recognize the importance and role of the international trade union movement as well as the International Labour Organisation and core labour standards.
- to understand the root causes of climate change, world poverty and the huge inequalities in our world.
- to know about the strength of the international trade union movement, and how solidarity contributes to the work for justice and equality in the world.
Mamadou Diallo of the International Trade Union Confederation speaks about ITUC's Development Policy at the Champions Course in December 2009. Photo: John Chaney.The goal is to equip the Global Solidarity Champions to:
- Contribute to strengthen the international solidarity work and development education within your own trade union
- Engage more members of your trade union in solidarity actions and work with your own trade unions solidarity committee or establish one where none exists
- Take part in the future work of the Global Solidarity project, and establish & develop relationships with trade unions in the global south.