Certificate in Trade Union Studies Waterford T3
This Congress/SIPTU course is certified by NCI and recommended for all trade union officials and activists who have already completed basic training. This module (Apr - Jun 2019) is Economics
- Code: NCICERT
- Date: Apr 01, 2019 - Jun 30, 2019
- Time : 6 - 9 pm
- Duration : Each module requires 10 evening classes (6-9 PM)
- Venue : SIPTU Waterford
- Location: Waterford
- Subject: Trade Union Studies, Economics, Industrial Relations
- Cost: €200 per module
Contact Details for This Course
Please mention Union Learning when booking this course.
Organisation : Irish Congress of Trade Unions
Name : Mr Frank Vaughan
Job title : Director of Learning
Postal address :
31/32 Parnell Square
Dublin Co. Dublin
Telephone number : +353 1 889 7777
Fax number : +353 1 887 2012
Email address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.ictu.ie
About this course
The programme is managed by SIPTU College and is offered at several locations countrywide. See pre-course requirements in section below on who should attend.
There are six modules, each one delivered at one night class per week for 10 weeks. Three modules are delivered per year between September and June. The modules are delivered continuously and you can join the programme at the start of any module. Fees are €200 per module and participants should apply to their trade union for funding.
The six modules in the programme are as follows:
Collective bargaining and the theory & practice of negotiation
This module examines collective bargaining and the principal theories and models of negotiation. It looks at the legislation, the institutions and the actors in Ireland’s industrial relations and how they interact.
Introduction to Irish employment law
The development and application of Irish legislation and how it relates to employment is a key focus in this module. It includes an examination of legal and industrial relations processes and of the institutions and legislation relating to trade unions.
Equality and diversity
Equality legislation, its history and application are examined in this module which also focusses on discrimination in the workplace and issues around global solidarity.
Safety, health and welfare at work
The role of the safety representative and the duties of employers regarding safety, health and welfare at work are the main concerns of this module.
Introduction to economics
This module provides an understanding of the core issues in economics; the role of government intervention; the main features of the Irish economy in a global context.
Human Resource Management (HRM) in the workplace
This module introduces the concepts and models of HRM and its practical application in the workplace. It also places HRM in context in the wider industrial relations system and includes union avoidance strategies.
This course is accredited for lifelong learning with a value of sixty (60) QQI credits, ten per module. Successful completion of the course earns the award of a Certificate in Trade Union Studies from ther National College of Ireland and eligibility to progress to a range of degree courses. Participants wishing to obtain credits are required, by way of assessment, to complete an assignment (an essay or a project) in four of the modules and sit examinations in two. The assignments and examinations carry 70% of the marks and the remaining 30% are achieved through continuous assessment.
Who should attend?
Be a current active member of a union affiliated to the ICTU. All participants will be mature adults with experience of trade union issues.
Have a good knowledge of their union’s policies, agreements and procedures
Have a good understanding of the roles and responsibilities of trade union activists
Use the booking link to express an interest in a place on this course or download the application form and send to email@example.com
Course added on: 04/07/2018
Details last updated on: 04/07/2018